Sunday, December 8, 2013

Crawling and Running

We have had a lot of fun in the Houston house this week!  I think knowing that Christmas break is right around the corner makes it a little easier to get up for work in the morning and not so hard to drop Zander off at daycare.  We love the moments we are able to spend together with our little family in our home or around town.  On Tuesday, Dec. 3rd, Zander started crawling.  By crawling... I mean the army crawl.  He shows such determination as he is going after whatever object is in front of him that he would like to grasp.  He is not quick yet (which is good for mommy) but he is making forward progress which is quite evident as I start to move items further from his reach.  We are so proud of our little guy!
 
One morning before work.... Zack and I decided to have a little fun with one of the onesies we received as a gift at the Burkemont shower.  It says "Daddy's Little Football".  I think the pictures below speak for themselves. ;)


While Zander is learning to crawl.... I have started back into one of the traditions my sister and I have had for the last few years.  We decided we would try to run a half marathon together every year we are able (meaning not pregnant, etc.)  A couple years we have actually run a full marathon..... either the Myrtle Beach Make Believe Marathon (right, Boomer?!) or the NC Marathon in High Point.  Basically, the joke with the MB marathon is that it snowed at the beach.... the first time in 17 years and the actual race was cancelled.  Linds and I had trained for months to run the 26.2 miles, and we weren't about to let a light dusting of snow deter us from achieving a goal of ours..... so we ran it anyway.  No water stations or fans cheering on the sidelines....but we had a great support system of family members.  Boomer termed it the Make Believe Marathon since you won't find our names in any online database with our times that year.  The following year, Linds and I were determined to run an ACTUAL race with actual signage, refreshments, and spectators.  We accomplished our goal and ran our first regulation marathon in 4 hours and 45 minutes (which happened to be our personal goal).  Last year, I was five months pregnant when the Mistletoe Run occurred and ran the 5K portion of the race with my mom and Zack.  The Mistletoe happens to always fall on the first Saturday in December... it is typically cold and rainy/snowy..... this year was no exception.  Linds and I have run this actual half-marathon multiple times in the past 5 years so we decided this was our chance to ensure the "tradition" continued.  I couldn't use the excuse of being pregnant with Zander this time! ;)  So.... we did it!! We had a great time running together.  It is so special that my sister and I are so close that we can share in these types of memories together.  I will always cherish the conversations we have on any run (whether we are training for a race or not). 



No comments:

Post a Comment