Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year 2017!

Hello 2017!  I am going to admit..... 2016 was a hard year for me....but it also was a great year for me.  Usually I post random pictures and document the happenings in the Houston Household, but I sometimes think that doesn't show the "real-life" experiences that are going on behind the scenes.... so what better time to reflect on the past year and the promises of this upcoming year than through this blog post.  First of all, we had a lot of GREAT things happen in 2016.... we watched Zander turn three, Maddox turn one and welcomed our first niece in November.  We have already found out we will be an aunt and uncle for the 2nd time in 2017 to our first nephew!  It doesn't get much better than expanding our families and it has been so fun for Zack and I to watch as our siblings join us on this roller coaster of fun through parenting!  We were able to take two wonderful trips in 2016 to Disney World and the beach!  We are truly blessed with our health and with our family and friends so I kind of feel guilty even saying it was a hard year for me at all.... but I think its scary to act like things are always going well.... it sets a false standard to live up to and for people that are reading my blog... I want you to know that if you have had a hard year or a hard moment.... you have not been alone.....it is difficult being an adult and having to make adult decisions and raise a family, etc.  For me,  I think it started to get hard in March when my grandparents' health shifted unpredictably.  It was hard to see the people that cheered me on from when I was a baby and pretty much saw me as the light of their lives have such a sudden change in their abilities.  It caused me to pause for a moment and really appreciate the time I have with them and now to celebrate that they live so close so we can see them more often.  It is such a blessing to have my boys get to know the grandparents that lived next door to me my entire life.  (So you see what seemed hard in 2016 has turned out for the better as we ended the year and move into 2017).  Another thing that has been hard for me this year has been balancing life with two kids and a full-time job. The mornings are extremely tough as I rush to get the two kids dressed, fed and out the door so I can be on time for work.  For those of you reading this with kids, you know how challenging it is to get kids out the door on time for ANYTHING.  It never fails that Zander will need to take a poop as we are walking out the door or Maddox wants to eat just a little more breakfast (he seems to never be full!)..... or one of the boys has decided to throw up etc. as I thought we were leaving out the door... completely changing the course of my day.  Zack has to leave for work before the boys wake up most mornings so there isn't an extra set of hands to help get the kids ready.  And for those of you that have two kids at the age 3 and 1 mark..... you know how different their needs are at this point... making it really hard to balance it all (I know you are laughing at me if you have more than 2 kids!).  Quite frankly, I have felt overwhelmed most days before I even walk out the door... making the work day equally challenging since I don't compartmentalize stress really well. ;)  Also, with the focus being on keeping my two children alive and well (it seems like we have also been sick a lot this year!)... I feel like Zack and I haven't been able to focus much on our own relationship.  Thanks to my parents, we have been able to squeeze in some date nights that have been most helpful.... but I sometimes feel guilty having the date night when I haven't seen my kids all day.... (#thestruggleisreal)!  I think that by me identifying and knowing these struggles as I move into 2017, I am really striving to make the hard things a little easier.  I am trying to focus more on the positive things that happen in the morning before I walk out the door, rather than the negatives.  I am also leaning heavily on the strong support system I have in my life.... my hubby, my parents, my sister, my "mommy" friends that help me realize that this is all part of it and I am not alone.  Another big thing that I have realized is missing this past year is my relationship with Christ... probably making the "hard" even harder.  I have done my daily quiet-time before the kids wake up but have failed to see the application of the verses I have read.  I have been so busy trying to "survive" life that I have forgotten that God is in control of it all.  He has an ultimate plan that I am blessed to be a part of.  Our pastor reminded us this morning through the story of Martha and Mary that Mary was able to focus on the "only one thing that is needed".... she sat at the feet of Jesus.  While Martha did a lot of good.... she was hospitable and provided food for the group, she was distracted from that "one thing".  Our pastor challenged me to focus on my relationship with Christ.... and I truly feel that 2017 will be better because of me changing that "one thing".  I hope you will enjoy the words from Luke 10 and it will challenge you like it challenged me to shift where my focus lies...

Luke 10:38-42New International Version (NIV)

At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a]Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

So here's to 2017, I am looking forward to living life to the fullest with God in control of every detail of my life.  I think He will help make the "hard" just a little easier when I focus on Him!

And now to some pictures from our week.... I just love these boys! We had a whole week off together!  I was also able to visit some of my "mommy" friends and their boys!  I got to meet Ginny's youngest, Will.  I also got to spend time with Ashley and her youngest, Ryder.  I can't believe that between the three of us.... we have SEVEN boys and not one girl in the mix! haha  We were also able to celebrate a kid-friendly New Year's Eve at our house.... it is so fun to see our numbers growing each year as we add new little ones to the mix... two girls this time!! ;)  






No comments:

Post a Comment