Sunday, December 8, 2019

God's Timing

I have to admit.... I was confused with God's timing over the last week and a half as we watched Grandpa's health quickly decline.  I was confused because we were called on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to hear that he had been unresponsive the whole morning.  We came to see him and he woke up.  We said our goodbyes and how much we loved him..... he told me he loved me, and I was able to pray with my grandma, mom and dad while holding grandpa's hand.  It felt like that was the day that Grandpa would leave this earthly home.  But he didn't.  He went another nine days where he was unable to eat or drink.  I would visit each day and some days he would just be staring off and other days he would lock eyes with me like he desperately wanted to say something but he could no longer communicate.  The last day I visited, he slept soundly while I rested my head on his chest.  I remember thinking this was the most peaceful I had seen him in a long time.  I guess I should have realized that this was near the end.  Even with the nine days to prepare for this substantial loss to our family, it seemed to still come as a surprise when my dad came to my school to tell me that grandpa had passed away that Friday morning and that the two of us would need to go tell grandma.  I put all this back story here because I am admitting that I questioned God's timing with my grandpa's passing.  I questioned it until I was with my grandma, mom, dad, and sister (and Eli) sitting at the funeral home on Saturday morning.  Our family had decided to have a private family viewing before my grandpa was cremated.  Grandpa had requested we not have a service or visitation so this was the only time we would be together with the sole purpose of grieving our loss.  As we were sitting at the table, discussing final preparations, it hit me that God's timing was perfect.  As I looked at a folder that my dad brought with him, I realized that this same folder was in my possession just two months earlier while my parents were out of the country.... just in case I would have to start the arrangements if they were unable to.  I looked at my little nephew sleeping quietly during the time we were with my grandpa's body, praying and sharing sweet memories we had with grandpa.  My nephew, who if he had been born just two weeks later would have not had the chance to meet grandpa.  My sister would have had to deliver a baby while grieving this loss.  My parents who would have had to split their time between being with their new grandson and making arrangements for my grandpa.  December 6th will always be a hard day for our family in the future but I now see how perfectly timed grandpa's time on earth was.  Even the challenges of the last week gave me an opportunity to really savor each moment I had with him, knowing it might be the last.  So I guess what I'm saying is..... it's okay to be confused by God's timing but in the end, His timing makes perfect sense.  I'm including two pictures below that connect my thoughts a bit..... a picture of Zander holding a sign he made that says "Its the Wonderful Time to Love the Lord".... he created his own song after hearing how hard it was for me to hear "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"..... I think its ironic that the word "time" is in both songs.  (Ignore his hair..... Zander slept on it and wanted to rock it to school that way!;))  Also, I'm including a picture of Eli.  He has been such a comfort to us all as we grieve Grandpa's death.  He has been passed around all the family members, especially within the last few days.  It is a comfort to think about the long life Eli has ahead as we celebrate the long life that Grandpa lived.


Ecclesiastes 3:11- "He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

No comments:

Post a Comment