Friday, April 10, 2020

Hanging at the Houston Home: Week 3

We have survived a third week of the Houston boys and mommy working from home.  We are officially on spring break for the next week and while we aren't able to travel and go anywhere, I'm already excited about having a little more laid back schedule without the demands of school for mommy or the boys!  Here is what we did this past week around our neighborhood!  
We explored the school that is within walking (or biking) distance from our house.  We attempted to play soccer, run around the track, take Burke exploring and bike ride this past weekend!  
On Saturday night, the Bakewells and Kennedys came over to help us with our Easter Mosaic.  We were excited to have a family event which included take out (everyone brings their own dinner) and sidewalk chalk!

 We were very excited about the finished product!! It was a a team effort for sure!
On Sunday, we went to a local park to have a family hike and play on the soccer fields.  The boys are loving soccer these days.
 I just wanted to count my blessings after a rough couple weeks... I've found myself "beaten down" by the expectations and demands of working from home and homeschooling.  I continue to feel blessed that we have been able to have all of our groceries each week (check out our fully stocked fridge), we've been blessed with good health and mommy (at home) and daddy (at his store) are still working which allows us to pay all the bills!  The boys have not had to experience any stress in the areas of food and shelter.  Also, while it can be hard to have such a drastic, instant change in our daily schedules and routines, we have made it work so far!
 My Sunday morning cuddle crew during the church service online!
 Zander lost his second top front tooth (making 4 total teeth!)  He was excited the tooth fairy could visit even in these quarantined conditions.  I was able to tie his tooth to a door and get the tooth out..... a first for me!! Daddy has been responsible for getting the other teeth out.  Maddox wanted his picture taken too.... although I made sure to remind him that his teeth should stay put for a couple more years. ;)
 Grammy has been so helpful to entertain the boys a couple mornings each week while I have conference calls, etc.  She helps with schoolwork and creates entertainment so I don't feel so guilty about the hours of television they are watching in the afternoons due to mommy's workload.  Neither boys are really into naps these days so I find that the days go pretty quickly from the moment they wake up until bedtime.... there is truly never a dull, quiet, still moment at the Houston Household!
 Zander got to see three of his buddies from school this week through Microsoft Teams.  It was so sweet to hear them catching up about what they have been doing while they haven't been in school.... his smile says it all... he is an extrovert like his mama! ;)


Today we celebrated Grammy's birthday and dyed Easter eggs! Two traditions that we look forward to every year!! Grammy does so much for our family... we would LITERALLY not survive this current situation without her support...... she is such a strength to our family especially when you feel like you just can't take one more thing.......I can't express how lucky we are to have her! We made the day all about her.... eating some of her favorite food and watching a movie that she had wanted to see.  It was one of  my favorite days and I hope she knows how much she is loved!


And a funny story to end this post.....the boys found what was hidden for them from the Easter Bunny! :(  I was on a call helping a parent and student with their online learning when I heard a noise that made me know they had moved the one object that was hiding their presents behind it (on a tall shelf in a closet they never go in).  I quickly flew up the stairs to discover they were enthusiastically looking at their new presents.  I was devastated..... I have felt that I have been really failing in the parenting area lately.. not really balancing work and their needs/wants at this uncertain time.  I was so excited I had managed to get things in order for Easter... which is pretty difficult when stores are not open and you are with your kids 24-7.  I quickly said I was sad because the Easter Bunny had asked me to hide their presents and keep it a secret due to the virus that was going around.  He knew he couldn't get to all the houses and definitely didn't want to share any of the germs.  It worked out the best it could and I hope they pretend to be surprised on Sunday when they see their baskets..... stay tuned... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment