Sunday, August 1, 2021

Summer Break 2021: Week Six

Last summer, I only had five weeks with my boys and some of those weeks still required I sign onto zoom meetings or participate in professional development as we prepared for the new year.  It seems like a bonus this year to get a couple extra weeks with my boys and I'm trying to savor each day as we countdown to Zander's 3rd grade year and Maddox's kindergarten year.... I still have a hard time believing we only have school age children at this point.... no more preschool and no more monthly payments for these childcare programs! This sixth week of summer break was a hard one, probably the hardest summer break week I've ever had.  We said goodbye to my grandma on Monday.  It is really hard to put into words how shocked and sad I am about this.  It seems that we didn't get a chance to say goodbye like I would have wanted but I do think she feels we had a proper goodbye so I'm clinging to that right now... and that I will see her again one day!  I remarked to my mom and sister as we were saying goodbye that Grandma always talked about her own grandma, Carrie, who pretty much raised her and took her to church and introduced her to Jesus.  I think as sad as it is for us to say goodbye, Grandma Nancy is so happy right now to be with her own beloved grandma.  I am excited about the day that my grandma can introduce me to her grandma!  It will make for some really big reunions for sure!  Thanks to mom's observant personality, we were able to have all of the things Grandma requested for our time with her.  Her favorite songs (Deep Purple, In the Garden and It is Well with My Soul) and scriptures (Psalm 23) were shared along with some of our favorite memories with her.  I am including a quote that Grandma mentioned was her favorite below, an Irish proverb.  Linds surprised us all with M & M treat bags for each of the great grandkids.  Grandma would prepare these snack bags weekly and Linds had just enough leftover from Grandma's weekly spoiling to hand them out one last time... cue the tears again!  All four kids did great as they patiently waited in the office area while we said goodbye (as you can see the treat bags helped with that)!  As we always say when getting off the phone "so long, Grams".



This sweet little nugget below has been having a hard time going to sleep lately.  He will come into our room multiple times with various reasons while he needs one of us to cuddle with him.  I am trying to cherish these memories as I know they will be gone too soon and I will wish to cuddle with my little boy!
Grandpa would have been 92 on Friday, the 30th, so I had to get my annual hamburger, fries and shake to celebrate!  Of course, the shake machine was broken after I had already waited 15 minutes in line, fortunately the hamburger was good and you can't compete with those delicious McDonalds' fries!  Happy birthday, Gramps!
I did have to attend a three day leadership retreat this week for work.  So while the boys and I are still on summer break, I had to have a brief pause from our daily fun to transition into full time working mom mode!  Grammy took the boys to the YMCA pool one day and they were excited to earn their swimming bands.  Zander can now do the water slides and deep end without an adult nearby (he had to swim half the length of the pool, tread water for 30 seconds and swim back using the backstroke without touching the whole time for his swim test) and Maddox can swim in all parts of the pool except the deep end without an adult nearby (he had to swim half the length of the pool and back without touching at all for his swim test)!   I have two very excited boys!  I am wondering if next summer might be the first summer where I sit on the side and just watch my boys swim for hours!  Although I think I will miss some of the fun of getting in the pool and splashing around with them.... maybe next year I will attempt the waterslide too! ;)
Grammy had all four grandkids one day since Linds also had a work meeting.... she entertained them at our house....going to the neighborhood playground and using the sprinklers in the backyard!  Fortunately, all four kids had a pretty decent nap/rest time!  Grammy really is a superhero!! I am not sure how she does all she does and always with a positive attitude! We are so lucky she is ours!! :)
I made my way "back home" to our happy place, the mountains, on Friday! We were able to see Grannie, Aunt A, Uncle Jay, Henry and Uncle Henry while enjoying the beautiful mountain views!  We even got to visit the local fire station, which made three boys extremely happy!
We got to visit with Uncle Henry's goats as well..... it cracks me up that the boys got in the pasture with them!

On Saturday, I took the boys to visit one of my best friends and her family!  We enjoyed a day on the lake! We were able to go on a boat ride, tubing, swimming, and they even had a slip-n-slide in the backyard!   These kids had a blast!  Our kids are roughly the same age (within a couple weeks) and I was able to finally meet their newest addition, Madeleine!  Due to Covid precautions and Liz's pregnancy, we haven't been able to see each other or hug each other in TWO years!  I needed this day so much and I know both of us are already planning when we can get together again!

On the way back to Grannie's house, I showed the boys my grandparents' house and my house that I lived in from 4th grade until moving out on my own.  We also stopped by the high school Zack and I graduated from and I showed the boys the drum major stand I used my senior year.... since its been 20 years since I graduated high school, I enjoyed taking a trip down memory lane! ;)


While we were in town, we also got to see GranDan, Granny V, PawPaw and Uncle Grant! We even got to meet Uncle Grant's new dog, Jethro, who is about the same size as the boys and the sweetest pup!  While week six started out pretty hard, we ended it on such a happy note, seeing some of the people that love us most and creating new memories with each one!


No comments:

Post a Comment