Sunday, November 19, 2017

Finding time for Family

I've been really struggling lately..... there has just been so much going on....balancing two full time jobs, two kids and our busy schedule have left me worn out..... I literally got sick last week I think from all of the stuff that has been "weighing" on me.  As I type this blog, my dog decided to pee on our guest bed..... he hasn't had an accident indoors in about 7 years so I don't know what is going on but at 9:00 p.m. on a Sunday night, I have had to strip a bed that didn't need stripped and I am in the process of washing everything.  I know we are very blessed and I have many things to be thankful for especially at this time of year... but I am just overwhelmed and tired and still feeling sick.  With my mysterious sickness, I lost my voice... cough like crazy.... have a sore throat, feel very tired.... have a major, constant headache.... right now I can't turn my neck to the left... and I just feel achy all over.  I can tell I am sick because I had to turn down the one run I can get in for the week with  my sister because I knew I needed to rest.  Due to the recent "ailment", it has forced me to start saying "no" to things I would really like to do but know I need to just focus on my family instead.... and so that is what this blog post is all about.  I am discovering that my little family of four (or five when I am no longer mad at my dog!) needs me more than the other "stuff" I had to say "no" to or the things I will need to say "no" to in the future.  I feel like our little unit is struggling from the constant "go" of our schedule and mommy's constant feeling that we should be on the go.  I am feeling that I need to make them more of a priority and show this in my actions... not just in my thoughts.  So this blog post is a way to try to challenge me to do just that... so if you are reading this ..... please pray I can focus on my little family of four (or five when I am no longer mad at my dog!;))  Here are some pictures from our week when we tried to fit in some family time.

Grammy gave us a date night to see the new Thor movie and we got to go for a 3 mile run the following morning since the boys spent the night at their house!  Fortunately, this all happened before I got sick! :)
 When we picked the boys up after our run, Zander wanted to wear my "turtle" that I use to keep my neck and face warm during a very cold morning!
 When Burke is not getting in trouble, I love snuggling with him after the boys are in bed!
 Zander is successfully writing his name all by himself! He needed no reminder on the order of the letters and he even kept it on the line!
 Zander has been getting into some trouble at preschool.  He had his first office referral this week (another reason I need to focus on spending more time with my boys!)  He had a temper tantrum during chapel and was very disruptive to everyone's worship.  I have no idea what is going on with our oldest... part of it I think is the age and the gender but his behavior was unacceptable, nonetheless, so he had to go to timeout while Maddox and I played after school.  I told him he had to sit on his bed and not touch anything!  I would like to say his behavior miraculously changed the next day but he had a few days of "sad faces" which means he is still having a hard time in a few areas:  not keeping his hands to himself, not listening when the teacher is talking, and getting very upset when he gets in trouble.  Any suggestions on what we should do next would be greatly appreciated!  We have taken "tv time", given spankings and other consequences already.  I do like that the teacher says it is not a defiance concern... more a self control issue... but how do you help a four year old better understand self control and patience?!
 We went to my grandparents' Thanksgiving dinner this past week... my favorite part was getting to sing Christmas songs with both boys on my lap! I wish these moments lasted a lot longer!


 Trying to find some time for our family to do something fun, we went to the science center yesterday to check out their new dinosaur exhibit and meet up with some friends, the Whites.  I still couldn't really talk and didn't feel 100% but I figured mommy doesn't really get a sick day so it might be easier entertaining the kids at the science center rather than at home! The boys loved the change of scenery!


 Today we put up our Christmas tree.  We have a pretty busy week coming up and I like having the tree up around Thanksgiving so we went ahead and put up the tree today!  Zack was a trooper putting the tree together and the boys helped me put on the ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment