Thursday, July 18, 2019

Summer Break 2019: Week Four!

We've had a wonderful fourth week of summer!! First, we took the boys to see the new Spiderman movie on Sunday ..... it was the first non-animated movie we have been able to see in the theaters!! Of course, my Marvel-loving hubby was excited that we could all go together to see one of his all time favorite superheroes!  The boys were wonderful through the whole movie and I feel like we have just entered a new stage with them.  We might have less date nights because of this but I think we are going to enjoy going to the movies more often as a family of four!
 Also, we have had Vacation Bible School at our church this week!  It is always one of my favorite weeks of the year.  It is just so fun to be a part of such an awesome experience for children (this year had over 600 kids coming through VBS).  I have been helping in the teacher role for the elementary kids for three years now.  This was the first year that I got to see one of my own kids come through my room!! Zander loved seeing mommy in "character".  Each year we have a different theme, and I am amazed at how our church members work together to transform our church into whatever the theme is.  This year's theme was "Monumental- God is Good!"  We are celebrating 25 years of VBS at our church, and five of the favorite themes over the years made up the rooms that the kids would rotate between.  Our room was called "Knight's Quest", where as a princess, I talked about the role of a knight and compared that to the story in the bible where King Jehoshaphat waited on God before going into battle against three armies.  We talked about how both situations showed patience (it takes 13 years to train to be a knight) and Jehoshaphat prayed and fasted before heading into battle.  He didn't even have to fight the battle because God already defeated the three armies, leaving no one left for the kingdom of Judah to fight.  This connected nicely with our bible verse: "Lead me in thy truth, and teach me; for thou art the God of my salvation, on thee do I wait all the day". (Psalm 25:5) After this, our youth minister would jump in with a fun little skit using the sword and the stone mentioning that the "one who is worthy to remove the sword must have faith"...... not faith in themselves but in God.  After this, he talks about the armor of God and how this armor can protect us today against our enemy, the devil.  It has been so much fun to work with a different group of students each day.  The younger kids especially liked my princess costume! haha  In reality, it is so great to be involved in this ministry.  I feel like I can focus on sharing God's love and message to these children while also being "mom" and interacting with Z and M before and after each VBS session.  Here are some pictures from the room I am in and some pictures of the boys (the boys and girls compete to see who can bring in the most pennies.... hence why they are trading dollars for coins to go in the boys' container.... the losing gender gets "decorated" on Friday with crazy items to match the 25th birthday celebration)...... you can tell in the last picture of Maddox that he really loves VBS.... his smile makes me literally laugh out loud!


VBS has been each morning.  So in the afternoons/evenings, we have had fun as well.  On Tuesday, we drove to Durham to catch up with Sam and her kids at the Museum of Life and Science.  With her living in Georgia, I love these yearly visits when she is in NC visiting family.  It is crazy to think I've known her 18 years at this point, exactly half my life!  God definitely blessed me with her as my college roommate freshman year.  Its crazy to think about all we have experienced since then.  I love that we are still so close in spite of the physical distance between where we live now.
On Wednesday, we went swimming in our neighbor's pool after naps.  The boys are doing so great swimming without any puddle jumpers!! I truly cannot believe I have two swimmers this summer (and that Maddox has never taken a swimming lesson... I guess that's the 2nd child for ya!)!! I love that they can get the extra practice next door where it is easy to watch them and have them swim to me!  Tonight, I am going out to dinner with the ladies I work with!  We always have the best time and I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's summers!! Tomorrow is our last day of VBS! We love the closing ceremonies!!  Then, I guess its off to week five of summer break.... stay tuned.....

1 comment: