Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Half Marathon!

 My life right now has felt like I'm running a marathon!  Ironically, this past weekend, Linds and I ran our annual half marathon together..... more about that in a moment!  Back to my life analogy, this has been a hard month for the Houstons.... within a month..... Maddox had his first ER visit (where we didn't know if he would have any permanent vision concerns and fortunately after a week's worth of interventions/medications... we are celebrating that he can see clearly out of both eyes)!  Maddox also had his two front teeth extracted (something we knew about from an accident about 1.5 years ago that just happened to be scheduled in September - a week after the ER visit). Maddox got pretty sick after the teeth extraction (having a hard time swallowing, eating, talking and there was plenty of vomit to go with it)!  I've been dealing with some breathing issues due to my allergies and weekly allergy shots. I made a telemedicine appointment and got a prescription for a daily inhaler (apparently you are not meant to use the rescue inhaler multiple times a day.... I had no idea)!  Then, this past week.... Burke had surgery to remove two tumors.... one we knew about and the second one that was discovered during the surgery.  He handled the surgery fairly well and even a couple days later, I was celebrating his progress.  However, by Saturday night, we knew our pup was having trouble.  He started having major tummy issues which I will just say kept us up most of the nights and throughout the days.  I came home from work halfway through the day on Monday to check on him and realized that he couldn't be left alone in his current state.... our three rooms downstairs that have carpet needed major attention after the messes that were left!  By yesterday, Burke started vomiting frequently and pooping blood.  He went back to the vet this morning for some IV fluids and medications intravenously.  I picked him up at lunch time (and spent the afternoon working from home).  I am praying he will start to show signs of an appetite and being able to keep food down.  All that said (and I guess I should include working full time and being a personal assistant to a 2nd grader whom I have to ensure gets his work completed daily), I feel like I'm constantly running a marathon.  The part of the marathon where the end is not in sight and you feel like you've been running forever!  I love the feeling after a half or full marathon.... the sense of accomplishment and the medal to prove you accomplished an impressive feat.  I am currently waiting for the end of this marathon.  I keep telling myself it has only been a hard month..... it will be over with soon.... but it just seems like I keep running.... so until I reach the finish line.... here are some pictures from our week... including an actual half marathon I ran on Saturday with Linds!

Burke in his cone after surgery! 


Linds and I ran what I call the "Kernersville Covid Half Marathon".... the actual race which is scheduled for this upcoming Saturday was cancelled... causing participants to defer to the following year or run it virtually.  We opted for the virtual option since we had all our long training runs behind us when the decision was made to go from live to virtual.  We will still be running a 5K on Saturday and receiving our shirts and finisher medals but I know both of us are glad we knocked out the 13.1 miles last weekend!  We still had our cheering squad throughout the route... including water at two places and Zack made everyone a delicious breakfast when we finished at our house.  I will never look at the roads near where I live the same again! Linds and I had to create our own route and ensure it was the 13.1 specified distance.  Linds had a PR, and this would be my second fastest half marathon overall (1:55:11).....I don't think any race will ever top my 1:48:02 from March!

I loved this comparison picture of Maddox and Eli.... you can tell they are cousins and they sure do love their aunts! ;) 
Zander is loving fall ball and doing a great job playing various positions.... his favorites right now are pitcher (even though there is a machine..... he has to field a lot of baseballs) and first base!  He has been doing great hitting as well..... he got the game belt for his hits from last week's game.  He's had teachers come visit him on the ballfield and family members cheer him on as well.  We are at the ballfield about four days a week so Zack and I rotate who takes Zander to practice or games and who hangs out with Maddox for some one on one time! 

The boys picked out matching shirts and love wearing them at the same time! Also, Zander loves his game belt! haha
We celebrated Uncle Boomer's birthday on Sunday.... we had shrimp and grits! It was delicious!
We spent some days (or half days) working from home due to Burke's upset tummy.... Burke even joined us for some outside reading time on/near the hammock (trying to knock out Zander's assignments wherever we can)!  We tried to stay outside a good portion of Tuesday afternoon since Burke was using the restroom so frequently.  Fortunately, it was beautiful weather!  I continue to pray he is on the mend.


No comments:

Post a Comment