Saturday, January 28, 2023

My Grandpa Bill

 My Grandpa Bill died yesterday morning after recovering from a significant surgery.  As I am typing this, it is almost hard to imagine that he is gone.  I know since he was in a nursing home after the surgery that he was facing an uphill battle of rehabilitation and recovery but there weren't any clear indications that his health would decline so rapidly on Friday morning.  I can still hear him saying "yes my love" when I would tell a story and getting tickled over some of the extreme stories I would tell.  He loved each of his grandchildren fiercely and that love got even stronger as the next generation entered the world as great-grandchildren.  He loved being the patriarch of this family.  When Grandpa and Grandma would come to visit, it was clear that Grandpa would be holding the newest addition any moment that wasn't spoken for.  He would light up when holding a new baby in his arms.  His love for race cars has been passed down to his three great grandsons as Zander, Maddox and Eli have multiple #3 cars in memory of Grandpa's favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt.  I remember visiting their home in Florida (which was just up the street from ours) and seeing a whole room covered in #3 memorabilia.  Grandpa had the best smile that will be greatly missed at our family gatherings.  I am thankful I will have the opportunity to celebrate his life with family this upcoming week.  This celebration will be a great reminder that we will see him again one day and thanks to God's love when sending his Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins, death no longer has the final say.  This temporary goodbye will be overshadowed with a triumphant reunion one day.  As this is the third grandparent I have had to say goodbye to within the last three years, I cannot wait to hug each of them again one day.  Thank you Jesus for the promise of eternal life for all those that believe in you!



No comments:

Post a Comment