Tuesday, February 14, 2023

To My Little Valentines,

Zander and Maddox,

How is it possible that you are 9 and 7 years old?  I feel like I just wrote our Valentine's Day post for 2022, and we are already in a new year!

Zander, I cannot believe that you have one more year of elementary school and then you will be joining the youth group at church and venturing onto middle school.  I'm not old enough to have a 10 year old in April. ;)  I am so proud of all you are doing this year.  You have decided to try new things such as TrailLife and Student Council while also continues to pursue passions you have found over the years with scripture memorization through AWANA and playing soccer.  While you are thinking you will try flag football this upcoming year (still not sure what I think about this as your mama) and are not sure you will continue with baseball, I am proud of you for trying new things and also focusing on what brings you joy and continuing to follow those passions.  I pray you will always have a love for Jesus that you currently have and a heart for others.  I am so proud of all you are learning at school as you continue to thrive by bringing home As and Bs on each report card while being challenged within the academically gifted program at our school.  The way you compute math problems in your head is fascinating to me.  Just last night, I grabbed my calculator to quickly solve a problem that you finished in record time.  You love being outside.  You love cuddling up on the couch to read a book together and you love cuddles before bed.  I pray you will always know how much I love you and how thankful I am that you made me a mommy.

Maddox,  you have an optimism that is contagious.  You are also quite resilient when you face changes or you get hurt doing things that little boys do.  I absolutely love your smile (with or without teeth).  You always ask me before bed if I will leave our door cracked so you can come in if needed.  There are many occasions you take advantage of that "open door policy" by coming in for extra cuddles before our alarms go off in the morning.  You are definitely a morning person, waking up on the weekends way before you need to! ;)  You also know when its time to go to bed and fast forward the bed time routines often (sometimes telling me you are good on cuddles and I can leave now).  You continue to show an athletic ability that I wish I had.  I don't think there is a sport you aren't good at.  You currently love basketball, soccer and baseball and are hoping to try flag football this upcoming year.  You have an incredible memory as I watch you memorize verses each week for AWANA.  You also are a critical thinker and excellent writer as your teacher constantly brags on how smart you are.  You continue to get the highest grades on each report card and enjoy our pizza celebration after each positive report card comes home.  I love some of your "Maddoxisms" where you make up things as you go (most recently calling the windshield wipers "wind swipers" or "rain swipers").  You are the boy that completed our family and I will always be thankful you are my baby boy!

Brothers, I am so thankful you have each other.  Whether you are playing basketball, football or soccer outside or if you are playing Nerf guns, board games or video games inside, I am always thankful you have someone to challenge you and grow up with you.  You will share a relationship that is hard to describe and will be one of the things you cherish most.  I am glad God made me a "boy mom" because while it is always "entertaining", it is also filled with so much more love than I could ever fathom.  I love you both so much!

Happy Valentine's Day to my little loves,

Mommy 






No comments:

Post a Comment