Monday, January 17, 2022

A Weekend Away!

Back in August (a couple weeks after my grandma died), I had the idea to go away for the Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend and rent a tiny house in the NC mountains.  I was missing my grandma terribly and continued to think of all the memories we shared camping together and taking trips in general.  I knew it would be a fun weekend for my family of four (five including Burke) so I enthusiastically booked the cabin and counted down until the weekend arrived.  Little did I know that it would be the perfectly planned trip for us.  On Friday, our dear next-door neighbor, someone that has been like a grandma to our boys, died due to complications from Covid and other health issues.  Judy has been such a special part of our lives, letting us swim in her pool in the summers, getting the boys treats like popsicles and ice cream bars and ensuring they always had the large size candy bars at Halloween.  We have been so sad about her sudden death, and I can't tell you what a relief it was to take my boys away from our house for a couple days, so we didn't look next door and miss her even more.  Here is a picture of our neighbors a few years ago on Halloween.   Her husband, Doug (dressed as a lady here), is still in the ICU and we continue to pray for his recovery.  

Not only was this weekend perfectly planned because of the unexpected loss mentioned above, but the meteorologists were predicting a big snow for the area we were planning to visit!  This made the boys incredibly happy!  So here are some pictures from our mountain adventure in a tiny house where we got snowed in for two days!


It really did feel like camping with my family when I was a little girl.  The accommodations were a little bigger than the camper we would stay in, but I enjoyed planning and preparing each meal for my boys!
We played board games, enjoyed the nice warmth of our cozy home and even ventured to the yurt at the top of the hill for the boys to get a little exercise (a.k.a. get a little energy out)!
The main attraction was the SNOW!!  We enjoyed hiking on the trails on the property, sledding down our driveway and the boys even enjoyed a swim in our hot tub that was connected to the house!

Here are some comparison shots from before the snow came and after the snow arrived!

I love these two pictures below... showing the trail we went on prior to the snow and after the snowfall.  It was the perfect weekend, and I loved every minute of spending time with my boys!

This past week, Zander was recognized with a PACE award for showing perseverance and academics!
Maddox got 2nd place for our verse-a-thon at church... he memorized 18 verses which he recited on our first Sunday night after the Christmas break!
I love getting pictures of my boys while they are at school.  Their teachers love them so much and they are learning a great deal!  I can't believe how fast they are growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment